Figuring out what to wear to a job interview can be one of the most stressful decisions you make during your career search. Lucky for you, we’re here to help. Our Dress for Success infographic details the Do’s and Don’t of the much anticipated interview outfit. Give yourself a leg up (or a foot in); check it out.
What to Wear to an Interview
Why should you Dress for Success? Because a job interview is an audition! When you’re interviewing for an accounting or finance position, it’s important that you’re dressed for the part.
What to Wear to an Interview: Women
Of course what you wear to an interview is a personal decision, but here are some recommendations from industry professionals on what’s considered best practice for dressing for an interview.
- A natural-fiber business suit in a subdued color is a good choice for first interviews
- For skirts and dresses, hemlines should be close to knee-length
- Blouses should be modest and not overly revealing
- Keep jewelry minimal to avoid distracting the interviewer
- Hands, fingers and nails should be tidy. If nail polish is worn it should not be chipped or in a distracting color
- Whatever hairstyle is worn, it should appear neat
- If you choose to wear makeup, err on the side of natural looking
What to Wear to an Interview: Men
Ultimately, what you wear to an interview is your decision, but these are some recommendations on what men should wear to an interview from industry professionals.
- You can’t go wrong with a dark suit with a tie and white shirt
- While a conservative tie is recommended, don’t be afraid to choose something stylish with a little pizzazz
- Shoes should be shined (and not scuffed!)
- Wear dark socks
- Jewelry should be minimal to avoid distracting the interviewer, however a watch and wedding ring are perfectly acceptable
- Fingernails should be clean and trimmed
- If you have facial hair, it should be groomed neatly
What Not to Wear to an Interview
Remember, an interview is not a fashion show or a chance to make a fashion statement! It’s a time to showcase your professionalism.
Women: Avoid wearing these things to an interview
- Mini skirts
- Casual sandals
- Over the top jewelry
- Sky high heels that are difficult to walk in
- Glittery or distracting makeup
- Nail art
Men: Avoid wearing these things to an interview
- Jorts (jean shorts)
- Goofy ties
- Casual clothing with large brand logos
- Baseball hats
- Too much cologne
- Sandals (especially with socks!)
Final Thoughts on the Best Interview Attire
Now you know how to dress for success, the next step is to nail the interview and get the job! Interested in a new position? View all Accounting Principals finance jobs today.
For more workplace insights, visit accountingprincipals.com.